Friday, February 18, 2011

Perspective on the self

I believe in being true and in opening myself up to that truth, constantly striving for a true message or belief in myself. It means admitting joy, anger, weakness, accomplishment, success, happiness and so forth; the full spectrum of human emotion. However, sometimes our perceptions and lenses make us incapable of seeing ourselves truthfully.

I have had quite a bit on my mind recently about my own body image and my perception of myself. I had some struggles with nourishment last year that threw my body out of whack and ended up with me not feeling or looking like what I perceived as "myself".

In the last couple of weeks, I've had some pretty interesting things come up that have challenged my own perspectives and beliefs about myself and how I perceive myself, which has then in turn got me thinking about how women see themselves as a whole. It isn't a new idea that women are hard on themselves or that they self flagelate. In fact, we are bombarded with messages of how much women hate themselves and each other, as we are with images of what we should look like.

So for a while I was really feeling down about what was peering back at me when I looked in the mirror. I felt "unhealthy" and embarassed. Then a light bulb moment came.

I was talking with one of my students. A very beautiful and very talented student that I feel incredibly honoured by when she signs up again for another session of dance. Anyways, we were chatting casually while she was trying on some costumes and what she said completely shook my world. She said to me "Are you sure I look good in this costume? I feel really mannish, especially when I look at how curvy and beautiful you are."

I was shocked. I was totally and completely shocked. I assured her that she looked quite lovely (and I mean really wow). After she left the studio I sat down and I thought very intently about what she had said to me and the implications of it. Here was someone who I looked at and thought was incredibly beautiful, graceful and hard working, who thought they looked mannish. And then, to top it off, that the thing I was struggling with the most at the time was an aspiration? This really got me thinking.

I then had another conversation with a different woman. She is a teacher of a variety of dance. I really wanted to learn this new style (new to me anyways) and so I took the class. I felt very self conscious because there were other students in that class that knew me in a teaching capacity. I felt like people expected me to be perfect. That I wasn't allowed to be goofy and awkward as I approached this new style. I felt very compelled to make sure I was doing everything right because I was a teacher of another style. And then this teacher admitted to me that she felt self conscious about me being in the class because I moved beautifully and she felt awkward!

And I thought: Well ain't that some shit?

If the message from the universe wasn't ringing clear enough, it whalloped me once more when a student who I think is very beautiful and has a very sensual body shape AND is doing amazingly well in class emailed me to apologise for not being good enough.Yet again. SHOCK. Total and complete shock.

So here we are. I'm self conscious. She's self conscious. I'm sure if you're reading this, you're self conscious too. Hell, the lady sitting next to you while you read this is also self conscious. So where does that leave us?

I am not writing this for validation or to get people to respond with hokey self-love messages that they don't mean or embody in their own lives. I am writing this because I see all of these experiences as demonstrative of a larger problem in our culture: the lack of self acceptance and the rifts they create in relationships with ourselves and others.

All of these very small moments, which only took seconds out of my life have felt like someone ringing a very large and loud bell in my ears, the tones of which reverberate through my body. I have at times felt like a hypocrit preaching self acceptance to my students, when I stood in front of them at moments not accepting who I was. It all comes down to one very simple idea: If all of the people around you deserve to be accepted for who they are, why don't you?

These women who shared with me how they felt are all very kind hearted people. I've never heard any of them say something bad about another person. I've never felt any sort of judgement or unkindness from them, but like most of us and just like me, they hand out acceptance of others before themselves.

What a terrible disservice we are doing to ourselves. No wonder some of us are addicted to food or shopping or gambling or alcohol or...or...or...or...or. No wonder people overwork themselves, constantly striving to be better. No wonder women enroll their children into 500 activities, plus maintain a perfectly clean house, cook and work. We don't think we are good enough as we are.

These last few weeks have been hugely impactful for me and I can't seem to keep it to myself. I feel like the universe has taken a big shiney hammer and rap tap tapped me quite squarely on the head. We all deserve to be accepted for who we are, especially by ourselves.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Stephanie,
    I enjoy your blog and have read every post :) Self acceptance is hard but vital. I figure skated for 12 years and I remember well all the messages of "you're too tall","you're bums too big", "you need to lose more weight", "Nothing on you should giggle while you skate" I also remember feeling rejected when I said "I like me" which of course stung the worst. I'm no model for self acceptance and mirrored rooms, though I've frequented them, still make me a little nervous, but every once in a while that little voice comes back and says, "I like me" and I've learned that no matter what other messages I get that liking me is ok. Yay for small victories! Keep blogging :D
    Karalee Shideler

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Stephanie, this is such a timely and heartfelt article. I think it was really brave to post this. I don't want to detract from what you have said by talking about myself too much, but I have really been struggling the last few weeks (with a whole lot of things, lol) and it really helps to see that we all struggle and that we are often so very hard on ourselves in the process.

    I suppose the trick now, is just to remind ourselves and the people we care about of what they have accomplished and of what they will accomplish.

    You are an amazing role model. :)
    ~Linette

    ReplyDelete