Saturday, July 9, 2011

Seeking Sekhmet - After the show

It is the most incredibly surreal feeling to call up all the dancers at the end of a show: students, guests and colleagues and stand in front of the audience knowing it was your show that you put on and you are responsible for the success or failure of the event. As I was standing and looking between the lovely dancers and the audience, a thought came "So when's the director gonna come in and take charge of this shindig?" And then the reality check of "Oh wait. That's me." After the several shows from this last year, I am still not used to the feeling that I am running the show.

I was really surprised by the Tribute from my students. It was really cool to see them stand there and start to shimmy to the music that inspired me to shimmy and be a better dancer many years ago. That is why I still use that song to this day. It was the moment where I said to myself "Stephanie, kick it up a notch." So to see my students reflect that spark back to me was a really amazing moment.

I had a couple of tips offs in the evening that hadn't registered until it started. One of my little kids came up to me and said, "We're just gonna be outside for 10 minutes and then we'll come back and do the 5 minute shimmy." And I was like "ok, whatever crazy child." Haha. And then when I was about to go out and perform this same kid is like "Are we dancing with you now?" And I just thought "Oh you're such a diva." Hahaha. When the shimmy music started up I started to laugh because I realized this kid had let the bomb slip twice and I hadn't even noticed because I thought she was being a drama queen.

I was really impressed with my students last night. This session I gave them some very challenging pieces to perform. My beginners had a challenging drum solo, which they pulled off perfectly. My Intermediates danced a very challenging oriental/saidi styled piece, one of the most difficult they've been given to date. And for my student soloists: Rachel I made her slow it down and she smouldered on stage. Amanda emoted like a goddess, so much so I felt it at the back of the hall, and Brittany very impressively put together a choreo that I forced her to do with 2 weeks notice.

Due to some major costume changes (4 to be precise), I missed a lot of the show, which is unfortunate. I am looking forward to watching the video. I loved what I saw of Tridevi Tribal. For a new group, they danced incredibly well together. I was impressed. And Silk Sirens. *le sigh* What can I say about Silk Sirens? They are just so absolutely delicious to watch. They emote, they're together, they are technically excellent but are not techno-robots. I am so thrilled to have them joining my studio this fall. I managed to catch some of Eclipse's performance: SO cute (the concept, the ladies were HOT!)! I love Vanessa as the femme fatale, the costuming is spectacular as usual, the choreography tight, the dancing sharp and concise. Loved it. I saw part of Michelle Kaplan's solo. Wow. Michelle has such energy and strength on stage. I love her vibe.

I missed Moon Unit due to a costume change, but I am quite certain they were spectacular. Marie Habib was her usual crowd thrilling self. The audience loves ya babe! That sax solo is one of my favourite songs actually. It's such a sexy piece of music. And Maya. *sigh* Maya. So phenomenal. We are just so blessed to have her in this city. She has so much talent to offer and so much knowledge.

It is moments like this where all the blood, sweat, tears, tantrums, depression, anxiety, fear, anticipation, excitement, exhilaration is worth it. It's funny, even as a dancer, I didn't realize how much work went into putting on shows until I actually put one on. It's a lot. A LOT. But it is worth it. As cheesey as it sounds, it's like building a conduit of joy. All of the effort is being directed into a positive goal = entertaining the audience, supporting each other as women and dancers, and building on a community of dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment