Thursday, November 25, 2010

Costume Malfunction Chronicles - Episode 3 - The Hair Mishap

After the boob debacle of 2003, I enjoyed several years of relatively costume mishap free performing. Aside from binding a turban so tightly I couldn't see straight or forgetting to pin my belt to my skirt so the belt would twist in performance when my hips started to get a lil' wild, I was in mishap-free paradise.

Then I became a teacher and got busier. Instead of worrying about just myself, I had students to think about now! What were they doing, where were they at? How were they going to manage? I would forget the age old rules of always dancing in the items you purchased prior to the shows. I was a pro now! I didn't have time for such things! Haha.

I was preparing for a show. I was both nervous and excited. It was new territory for me! I was new to Edmonton! I had this lovely hair piece that I normally wore for performances. I love tossing my hair and using hairography in routines. So I was going to flip my head down in this performance. I practised at home with my hair piece on to make sure it would not come off when I flipped it around. It was solid!

It came to the night of the show. I was wearing my favourite costumes, a sexy red and black snake skin number. Yeow! I was dancing to a gorgeous piece of music. I felt great. When it came time to perform I got up on stage and started to dance. I felt very calm but everything I had wanted to do went out of my head. But I came to the part where I wanted to whip my hair around. I knew this part! This part I would own!

I flipped my hair wildly down and up when suddenly. SHIT! Something was wrong! I felt my hair piece pop off. I casually tried to look around the ground to see if it fell in front of me and I couldn't find it. SHIT! Where did it go. So I sensually (cough) reached up my hand to my head and discovered it dangling by a thread! I unclipped it.  Holding it out in front of me. I looked at the audience. I looked at the hair piece. And back to the audience.

I clipped it back in, gave a little bop bop to my mop and continued dancing. After I was done performing, I was mortified. How humiliating! It was like in Drag Race when the one drag queen lost his wig in his sexy wild dance and then went all crazy and got freaky for the judges! Maybe it was my TV moment. I was replicating reality television people and the joke was on me!

Afterwards, I think some of the other performers were less than kind, but I was proud of my recovery! In fact, I had oringially been tempted to dance with it like a cane. In hindsight, this would have been the most hilarious option. My response to this little mishap made me examine my life and how I responded to life's little oopsies. I resolved that when life's proverbial hair piece flew the fuck off my head, that I would respond with a smile and nod and keep on dancing....

No comments:

Post a Comment