Sunday, November 7, 2010

Dancing with Seniors

Rebel Hips and Seniors on Global TV
http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/video/index.html?releasePID=FeG5omqOBRxE9W5s9C7eSQOr3nAvbwvJ

Belly Dance is a great way to get in shape, improve mobility and meet new friends. Much to my delight I have had the distinct pleasure of working with senior citizens in Edmonton. I teach Belly Dance to female seniors at SAGE - Seniors Association of Greater Edmonton. 

One of the great blessings that I have in my life is sharing with other women my passion for dance, all the while working to help build a sense of community amongst women. There are so many things in our lives that cause isolation for women of all ages and backgrounds. Dancing helps to build commradery and common interest between people that may not necessarily have met or become friends otherwise.

My Belly Dancing Seniors are total babes. I love teaching them and I love the passion they have for life. Oftentimes I feel like I am getting more out of the classes than they are! They show me that it doesn't matter what other people think about what I do, say or look like. They teach me about being a woman and a human being. I am so proud of their dedicaton and committment to dance, and feel honoured about the trust they have placed in me.

One of my heroes is my 87 year old student. She is fiery and fun and has this sexy little wink that drives the men at SAGE wild. If I can think of anything I want to be when I grow up, it's that: smart, confident and sexy! No matter what my age is!

No comments:

Post a Comment