Thursday, November 18, 2010

My Mentors - Jumanah and Sahfi

I have had many teachers over the years and attended many workshops. But there are two teachers who have inspired me beyond all others and whose lessons have stuck with me as I continue to dance and teach. Sahfi and Jumanah.

There is something very powerful about the relationship between teacher and student. Recently I saw Jumanah dance in a show and it almost moved me to tears. I was overcome with emotion. I felt like a beginner student again and was awed by her grace and beauty. Jumanah is an incredible dancer, but the respect and admiration that I have for her really took my enjoyment of the performance to another level.

Sahfi introduced me to Tribal. Dancing with her and her troup Chiftibelly were a huge influence on my formative years as a dancer and young woman. At times I was too immature to appreciate certain lessons that she taught me. But there are a few lessons she taught me (aside from the huge impact on my style) that I embrace to this day. One, is the importance of valuing your craft and what you bring to others both financially as well as spiritually, emotionally and mentally. She used to say "Good dancers aren't cheap and cheap dancers aren't good." The second thing that has stayed with me is the idea that sometimes when you can't quite get something, faking it is a great fall back. She used to say "Fake it till you make it.",  which I use with my students. Rather than "Oh, you can't do it, so don't bother trying." The attitude of "Hey, can't do it? No worries! Here's a trick to give the illusion that you can!" Which I think is a great life lesson.

Sahfi has had the single largest impact on my style as a dancer and teacher. My love for the Shamadan started with her and was nurtured and increased with Jumanah. Jumanah took my wild and rough style and taught me how to be elegant and graceful.

I admire both of these women for very different reasons and treasure the talent they have shared with me and others over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment